header advert
You currently have no access to view or download this content. Please log in with your institutional or personal account if you should have access to through either of these
The Bone & Joint Journal Logo

Receive monthly Table of Contents alerts from The Bone & Joint Journal

Comprehensive article alerts can be set up and managed through your account settings

View my account settings

Get Access locked padlock


Download PDF


1. A simple test more sensitive than Ortolani's for the diagnosis of instability of the hip in the new-born is described. It takes only a few seconds to perform and can be quickly taught to doctors, nurses and midwives.

2. About one infant in sixty is born with instability of one or both hips. Over 60 per cent of these recover in the first week of life, and 88 per cent in the first two months. The remaining 12 per cent are true congenital dislocations and persist unless treated, giving an incidence of 1·55 per thousand.

3. Treatment with the type of splint described begun within the first week is simple and effective, and gives a hip clinically normal long before the child begins to walk.

4. The concept of a pre-dislocation phase should be abandoned.

For access options please click here